'The little space within the heart is as great as the vast universe. The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and the stars. Fire and lightning and winds are there, and all that now is and all that is not.' -The Upanishads.

Thursday, June 27, 2013

grounding ...

I picked up a few goodies a couple of weeks ago at a local gem and mineral society show. I remembered to bring my reading glasses - the prescription pair, not the drug store ones - which is always a good thing. Fewer regrets. My budget was very limited, but there were a few things I felt compelled to pounce on and worry about paying for later: some little drilled quartz crystal points (I use 'em all the time); some very pretty faceted turquoise that I haven't used yet; some yellow opal rondelles that I just love ( I had used up the last of my stash and had despaired of finding more); some gorgeous blue kyanite; faceted amethyst beads; and (be still my heart) some raw black garnet crystals (dodecahedrons, in fact). I could swear they called me from across the room. One second I was looking at some leather cord and the next I was in front of this tall young dreadlocked hippie guy with these amazing beads in my hand.

That's the black garnet on the top

Turns out, black garnet, also known as Andradite or Melanite is a pretty intense stone. This is what I read on the Internet: "Metaphysical Properties: Black Andradite Garnet is a powerful grounding stone, which can also be used to ... evoke the mysteries of the Earth. It can help one attune to elemental forces and engage their aid. "

http://www.crystalvaults.com/crystal-encyclopedia/andradite

Grounding is one of the first practices you learn when doing magical and shamanic work. Putting your roots down deep deep into Mother Earth; looking for balance and tapping into that primordial energy.  Some people really need help to stay grounded, so the black garnet, if nothing else, is a reminder.

That's a black garnet all the way on the left...

A Prayer for the North, Earth Amulet Necklace


This piece is really all about Earth energy.  Stone, bone, clay, copper.  Very grounding.



And here's another necklace using some beautiful hand-dyed silk sari fabric I just got from Flea's Fibers on Etsy -
www.etsy.com/shop/FleasFibers
I'm in love with the colors in this piece - they remind me of that beautiful color that old newspapers become.



I've avoided taking a shower and getting dressed long enough.  It's overcast here on the South Shore of Long Island - perfect for getting more photos taken.  I've gotten a little too grounded to this computer chair.

7 comments:

Numinosity said...

Oh man, your stuff lately kind of makes me all excited and covetous and inspired. Some serious treasures going on there. I love that prong-diddy business in the third photo . Wish I could see what the back side looks like, such a great holder for that piece. Just wonderful. I'm going to have to pull out my fossil ivory artifacts and make them happy as you have done with your pieces here.
Are you comfortable with me pinning your pics on Pinterest?

Maggie Zee said...

Kim, I would love to have you pin any of my stuff on Pinterest. I have a board for my jewelry on there already, but not the close-ups or anything. And I'll try to get a photo of the backs of the prong-diddy business too. I'll post them on the blog. I must have borrowed the idea from someone else, but I don't remember where.
Thanks for all your encouragement. I really do appreciate it. It makes me feel like I'm on the right track (now if I could just start selling more..)

Anonymous said...

I celebrate with you all your wonderful finds! I know what it is like to find pieces you are so excited about that you can hardly wait to use them. And I love, love the bottom piece with the bezel that shows the word "healing", how you sewed pieces onto the recycled sari silk...just all of it! Great work! Peace to your heart, Sara

Maggie Zee said...

Thanks Sara and peace to you.

Numinosity said...

I haven't had much luck selling my jewelry online, perhaps because of my pricing and my audience seems to be mostly other designers that want to buy my components. Did you ever see my post about the fossil ivory pieces I got from a collector? can't quite bear to use any yet but your pieces have me activated in that direction.

Maggie Zee said...

I did see your post and I can't wait to see what you do with them. Glad you were inspired.

Anonymous said...

Want to order I love this necklace