'The little space within the heart is as great as the vast universe. The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and the stars. Fire and lightning and winds are there, and all that now is and all that is not.' -The Upanishads.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

back sides ...

Kim from Numinosity Beads, who makes fabulous glass beads, headpins and other artifacts for jewelry makers -    (www.etsy.com/shop/NuminosityBeads)
requested a look at the back of a wire wrapped element in the previous post, so here are a few examples.  I'm no expert at doing this, but I'm willing to make dumb mistakes and redo a piece until I get it to my satisfaction.  That means basically that I want it to look interesting and fairly neat and I want everyone to think that I meant it to come out exactly that way.  Fortunately, I do get better the more experience I get.   Using precious silver wire, I never would have attempted this kind of thing, but with cheap steel wire - I am utterly fearless.




And here's an "Air" piece I just finished as a counterpoint to the "Earth" necklace I posted last time:

A Prayer for the East - Air amulet necklace



8 comments:

CraftyHope said...

I was TOTALLY wondering what the backs of some of those looked like too. I'm relieved someone else asked for this as I would have been way too chicken (I'm just a wuss like that). Very cool design!!

Maggie Zee said...

Thanks - glad it worked out. You can always ask anything you want, as long as you're willing to accept that the answer might be "no"!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing, often the most straight forward design solutions end up being the most elegant. Such lovely work.

Maggie Zee said...

You are very welcome. I'm glad Kim asked. I agree that the simplest soluions are usually the most elegant.

Numinosity said...

Wow, those look great! I'm supposed to do a blog for Love My Art Jewelry Blog on Thursday. I'd love to share what you did here. May I?
I also am so grateful that your=showed me these. It looks like a great solution for some settings!
Thanks!

Maggie Zee said...

I'd love it if you shared these - thanks for asking!

fanciful devices said...

omg those backs are so gorgeous and inspiring! ok, maybe only gorgeous to other jewelry makers, lol. i'm so terrible at making this style of prong. its so hard to accurately at eyeball lengths and everything ends up wonky. you should do a step-by-step post showing your process. this is lovely and inspiring.

Maggie Zee said...

Ahhh - another non-sleeping in the middle of the night person. But you've probably just made 17 pairs of fabulous earrings and I'm fixated on how am I going to get the leftover waffle in the fridge that's calling to me into the toaster without waking up the dogs and the husband. Thank you for your kind words. Like I said, there's a fair amount of trial and error. With the early ones, my worktable looked like it was covered with black spiders. The step-by-step is a great idea though.