'The little space within the heart is as great as the vast universe. The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and the stars. Fire and lightning and winds are there, and all that now is and all that is not.' -The Upanishads.

Monday, August 6, 2012

the endless summer ...

I was once written up at work for having a "bad attitude".  Musta been in the summertime. Or maybe not.  Having been brought up to be a "good little girl", I took it as a compliment.  When my granddaughter was in first grade, she told me that she was bored with being a good girl and was trying out being a bad girl.  Apparently this involved making loud farting noises when speaking to her grandmother on the phone , but apart from that, I had to approve.  Sometimes, you just have to make some trouble and shake things up.  As long as you don't forget to recycle. And brush your teeth.

Here's a new piece inspired by some goodies I picked up last Sunday at the Long Island Gem and Mineral Show in Mattituck, which is a lovely little town on the North Fork, between the vineyards and the farmstands.  Used to be, the North Fork of the island was pretty rural and rustic, at least in comparison to the trendy Hamptons on the South Fork.  The bait and tackle places and tractor supply stores have succumbed to boutiques selling fair trade African baskets and every little deli has brewed decaf soy chai lattes.  (I made that part up but it's probably true.)  In spite of that, I had a lovely day with my brilliant and beautiful friend Janet (you remember Janet from the earlier display hand episode) and bought some cool stuff, including some pre-drilled quartz points, Thai amulets, Chinese I-Ching coins and carved jade pendants.









6 comments:

Numinosity said...

Ha, that looks exactly like my list of purchases from the Tucson show this year except you've already done gone and used it! Nice combo. I like how you utilized all the slots in the Chinese piece. Gorgeous mixing of color.

stregata said...

Some treasures for sure! Love the colours. Fabulous piece!

Maggie Zee said...

Great minds Kim. That greenish turquoise would make anything look good. Thanks!

Maggie Zee said...

Thank you Renate! And thanks for repinning it too.

primdollie said...

I love this piece and I'm so happy I found your blog thru pinterest! This is an awesome piece! Do you sell your work? Also love that you are in Long Island! we lived there when I was little and my parents owned 2 deli's at the time and then moved upstate to Oneonta and bought a motel! now we are all moved away but it was fun back then growing up, but I am sure a big change now after 40+ years!! thnx for the great eye candy I love your work!

Maggie Zee said...

Thank you! I've been selling work with my daughter at a couple of venues in NC and here in NY at private showings, but I'm trying to gear up to go onto Etsy. My family used to go to Gilbert Lake near Oneonta when I was a kid. I love that area. And I see from your blog (which is great by the way - very enthusiastic!) that you're in Wellington - I've spent a few very wonderful weeks at the Josephinum at the Quilt Surface Design Symposium. Glad to hear from you.