'The little space within the heart is as great as the vast universe. The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and the stars. Fire and lightning and winds are there, and all that now is and all that is not.' -The Upanishads.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

shell beads

I've been waking up every morning at 3:48 A.M.  Too early to start the day but too late to try to fall back to sleep right away.  So I get out of bed, try not to wake Dave and the dogs (truth be told, the dogs are only too happy to occupy the warm spot I've just vacated), and I make my way downstairs.  Sometimes I take my ipad with me, sometimes I just sit on the couch petting our geriatric cat, and sometimes, if I'm really really lucky, there's something interesting on tv.  The other morning there was a show on the NatGeo channel about the excavation of a hominid child's skull in a cave in Morocco.  Along with the bones, a number of tiny shells were found.  They had holes in them and under the microscope, the holes showed wear patterns that indicated that the shells had been strung on sinew or on some kind of plant material.

Jewelry.

These people were making and wearing jewelry 125,000 years ago.  And what's more, the shells were not local; they had come from hundreds of miles away.   I just cannot imagine what meaning that strand of shells had for those people, but they pull me back through the millenia that separate me from that child and his mother.  I fell asleep on the couch and had a dream about making a necklace of shells, specifically a shard of clam shell that I found on the beach near my house that I had been practicing my hole drilling skills on.  No wire.  Only plant fiber.



My dream necklace involved quite a lot of macrame but  my attempts were rather pathetic.  Need to revive those old hippie skills.  I think I'll dig out my old macrame books and get some softer material and redo this.  The hemp has a mind of its own.

clam shell amulet necklace, close up

10 comments:

stregata said...

Love it! And love the inspiration. Isn't it fascinating - we make jewerly and it ties us in to history, to a very long line of people that have been creating adornment for thousands of years...

Maggie Zee said...

You're so right, Renate. Maybe that's one of the reasons it's so satisfying on so many levels. And now it seems that before we knew how to farm, or make pots, or even fire - we were making jewelry. Is it an impulse of the spirit?
(This morning I'm watching "The Secret Life of Chaos" on the Science Channel. Two of my favorite subjects: chaos theory and fractals. Wonder if I'll dream about Mandelbrot Sets.)

Shel said...

Love the necklace and the story and how it inspired you. I think you're macrame looks just fine!! My hubby and son found some fossilized shells here in AZ where they hike/cave and also all these amazing ctystals that look like the NY Herkimer diamond ones, too. I think we'd be amazed at what was laying around all those years ago and what people did with things they found/traded and why. I think you're right, it might be an impulse of the spirit - and what a cool impulse, huh?!

Maggie Zee said...

Thank you Shel. A very cool impulse. Could it be that what's REALLY makes us different from other animals? I think my lesson here is to look more closely at what's on the ground and how I can honor that ancient impulse. Back to the beach for now!

Paloma Doe said...

Oh how you are opening our eyes, our minds and our hearts to beauty, to the world and to each other. Keep on dreaming, sistah!

Maggie Zee said...

What a beautiful thing to say -- thank you, P.D. I'll see YOU in my dreams.

PipnMolly said...

What a lovely story and your response to it.. just as lovely.

Maggie Zee said...

You're very kind to say so. Your jewelry has such spirit - I think that's why I'm so drawn to it.

quisnam said...

I find the idea of a dream necklace incredibly poetic. Your work is very lovely Maggie.

Maggie Zee said...

Thank you Kate. I've been following your work since you first listed on Etsy and now on your blog and on Facebook. Sometimes I feel like I'm a stalker. Your work is beautiful and always inspires me.