'The little space within the heart is as great as the vast universe. The heavens and the earth are there, and the sun and the moon and the stars. Fire and lightning and winds are there, and all that now is and all that is not.' -The Upanishads.

Thursday, December 18, 2014

millimeters

I am metrically challenged.  I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's true.  From many years of cutting fabric freehand for my art quilts, I am very good with inches, but millimeters?  Not so much.  And centimeters?  Fuhgiddiboudit. Even though I have a lovely little brass caliper to check measurements, I am frequently surprised when I get something that I bought on line.


I bought the Chinese coin at the center of this piece on Ebay a while back and did not expect it to be so big.  It's supposed to be an antique bronze coin from the Song Dynasty, but I'm skeptical.   I thought it might be too big and too heavy for a necklace, but I've decided that it's perfect for a ceremonial piece.  I would be proud to lead a ritual wearing this.





And a couple of pair of earrngs.  The first with smokey quartz and blue kyanite, which I love, and the second with faux ivory antler tips, rutilated quartz, and my homage to DNA.  I love DNA too.






4 comments:

Jackie said...

Third time trying to comment was not a charm...still didn't work. After this time I've got things I must do so I won't be trying for a 5th time. I too am metrically challenged - often amazed at the size difference of what arrives and what I imagine. The necklace you created is awesome, as always! I love the pretty earrings you purchased. I always enjoy receiving your emails, always nice eye candy. Thanks so very much.
...Jackie

Numinosity said...

Those DNA charms are great they really make for a captivating element. I try to include both metric and inches in my listings but under a certain amount I stick to millimeters with beads so I'm actually in fairly good practice with estimating these days. I always enjoy the collections in your pieces and you put that coin to good use. if you ever need some coin sized Chinese coins let me know, I have a good stash of authentic ones. Happy Solstice to you.
Kim

Maggie Zee said...

Thanks Jackie! Happy and healthy New Year!

Maggie Zee said...

Thanks Kim - Happy Solstice and Happy New. year to you! And safe travels. I actually have a couple if coins I bought from you a while back and they are beautiful!